Well, I finally made it to my first appointment after waiting the loooong 6 weeks.
All in all, it went really well. I told Matt it was okay to stay at work since we've done the whole appointment thing before and I knew what to expect. There was nothing that would happen that we hadn't already experienced before. Or so I thought...
I got there and we did the usual weight check, pee in a cup, blood pressure, check my pregnancy and health stats etc...So far so good. I was so proud that my blood pressure was normal - 106/68. My blood pressure was always so high during my last pregnancy because I was so nervous the entire time. I guess the "white coat syndrome" has finally wore off. Anyway, Dr. H came in to do my pelvic exam. He said everything looked good and told me to get dressed and meet them in the ultrasound room.
So, I go to the ultrasound room and the nurse gets me started on the monitor. You know how those first ultrasounds are...you can't really see what you are looking at and she says to me "Oh my gosh, you've got twins!" What???? I look at the screen, then at her and the only words I can get out of my mouth are "Are you SERIOUS?". Talk about a surreal moment. It's that moment you all think about when you get pregnant, but NEVER think it could happen to you. I immediately start crying, worry about how Matt will react, how we're going to make this work,etc... Just then Dr. H walks in and takes a seat while he calmly asks if everything is okay. His nurse then told him the good news and he says, "Oh, I thought she felt a little big, but I just figured her dates were off." I then asked the nurse several more times if she was sure and she pointed out the two separate sacs for what must have been the 10th time. Once I was able to calm down and focus a bit, I actually glanced at the monitor to see one of the babies moving around like crazy. The other one must have been sleeping because it didn't move much at all. Wow is all I could say. WOW! I am going to have TWINS! I never thought it would happen to me. As far as I know there aren't any twins on either side of our families so this was a huge surprise to say the least. Dr. H and the nurse congratulated me and sent me on my way.
The drive home was a blur. All I could think of was telling Matt and wondering how he would react. Once he got home from work, I showed him the ultrasound pictures and glanced through them saying how he couldn't believe we are going to have another baby. The last one said "Twins" on it, but he didn't catch it so I told him he missed something on the last picture. He looked at it again and immediately said, "there's TWO?" Yep, there's two. He reacted soooo much better than I ever imagined he would. We're both nervous, in fact, that might be the understatement of the century, but we're happy too. We can do this.
For those who read this in the next few days or weeks, whenever I decide to publicize this...I'm sorry for the rambling post. I just wanted to get this moment down before I forget. Oh who am I kidding...how could I possibly forget this day...ever?
Until next time. I'm off to bed to let this happy news settle a bit. Good night!
No comments:
Post a Comment